Saturday, October 29, 2005

Some utterings.

When a Christian hits rock bottom,
he finds that Christ is a firm foundation.
Unanswered yet? Nay, do not say ungranted;
Perhaps your part is not yet wholly done;
The work began when first your prayer was uttered,
And God will finish what He has begun.
Though years have passed since then, do not despair;
His glory you shall see, sometime, somewhere.-

-- Ophelia Adams


Love in return for love is natural, but love in return for hate is supernatural.
Lord, Be Thou within me, to strengthen me;
Without me, to keep me; Above me, to protect me;
Beneath me, to uphold me; Before me, to direct me;
Behind me, to keep me from straying;
Round about me, to defend me.
Blessed be Thou, O Lord, our Father, for ever and ever.

- Lancelot Andrewes (1555 - 1626)



If you can't hate what is evil, you can't love what is good.
Pray on, when rough and dark your pathway,
And you cannot see the light;
When every spark of hope has vanished,
And bright day has turned to night.
Pray on, for God doth surely hear you,
Noting well each sad request;
Pray then in faith, truly believingThat He always gives what's best."

- Our Daily Bread, October 23


I asked God for strength that I might achieve.
I was made weak that I might learn humbly to obey.
I asked God for health that I might do greater things.
I was given infirmity that I might do better things.
I asked for riches that I might be happy.
I was given poverty that I might be wise.
I asked for power that I might have the praise of men.
I was given weakness that I might feel the need of God.
I asked for all things that I might enjoy life.
I was given life that I might enjoy all things.
I got nothing that I asked for – but everything I had hoped for...

Almost despite myself, my unspoken prayers were answered.
I am among all men most richly blessed.

- An unknown Confederate soldier

No comments: